RAW CASHEW BASIL CHEESE ROLL-UPS
Cashews are an amazing vegan source of protein and are lower in fat than many nuts! They are also a good source of vitamin B-complex and essential minerals such as iron, selenium, zinc, and copper.
One of the most powerful nutrients in cashews are the anti-cancer compounds called proanthocyanidins that have the ability to starve tumors and stop cancer cells from dividing. They have also been shown to help lower blood pressure, prevent heart attacks, prevent gallstones, reduce migraines, and support healthy skin and hair.
Cashews can be very soothing for the nervous system and can help keep muscles and nerves healthy. Additionally, they contain a bioflavonoid called zeaxanthin which helps to prevent eye damage including macular degeneration.
Try to purchase only raw unsalted cashews, rather than the roasted or salted kind which can be devoid of many of these beneficial nutrients. Here's another awesome vegan recipe, this one is for my favorite cashew basil cheese!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked 2 hours)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon probiotic powder (can empty out a capsule or use O'Donnell Formula Flora Balance powder which is what I use)
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- Line bottom of loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Place the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt into a food processor and process until it begins to get soften.
- Add the basil and probiotic powder and continue to blend.
- Now spoon the mixture into pan and allow it to sit out for about 5 hours.
TO MAKE ROLLS:
Slice zucchini very thin and length wise, either with a sharp knife or a mandolin. Spread a thin layer of the cashew bail cheese on each zucchini strip. Line with matchstick cut peppers. Roll up and insert a toothpick to hold together.